Partner at CEL Abogados. Field of Civil-Commercial and Civil Procedural Law. Head of the Civil Procedural Law Department.
Jose Manuel offers regular consultancy services to large multinational companies on matters such as the expiry of distribution contracts, aspects of unfair competition, liability suits against company directors, lifting the corporate veil, payment claims, unfair terms for consumers and in general contractual conditions, business sale and purchase matters, and transactions.
He is also legal adviser to large Spanish companies and organisations, and other international bodies. He prepares and revises works contracts, surface right grants, leaseholds, purchase options, land swap agreements, rights of first refusal, rent agreements, purchase agreements, etc. He also negotiates and draws up all types of real estate transactions.
In matters of legal controversy, he has a great deal of experience intervening as lead lawyer in cases taken before the civil courts.
He teaches Civil and Commercial Contract Law at the Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía, and he gives lectures for various courses and conferences held by different public and private institutions. He has also co-authored leading legal works.
Recognised by the International Best Lawyers, 2023, and 2022, 2021 editions, in the area of Litigation, Barcelona.
Teaching and Publications
- Lecturer on Civil and Commercial Contract Law at the Master’s in Law course organised by the Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía. Position held since 2004.
- Lecturer on the Real Estate and Construction Law Course run by the Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Barcelona, covering issues related to consumer rights in construction and the regulation of construction in Catalonia, with particular reference to the Catalan Housing Act 18/2007, plus the legal aspects of works contracts in real estate development. From 2004 to 2011.
- Former President of the Construction Law Section of the Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Barcelona. Position held from 2006 to 2009 and 2017- actually.
- Lecturer on a practical technical course on property rights for staff and officials at Instituto Catalán del Suelo. The course addressed the theoretical and practical aspects of holdback rights, purchase options and rights of first refusal. Course organised by the Centro para la Investigación y Desarrollo del Derecho Registral, Inmobiliario y Mercantil, 2009.
- Co-author of the collective work Memento Práctico sobre Propiedad Horizontal [A Practical Guide to Horizonal Property]. Specifically, the author of Chapter 11 “Régimen de la Propiedad Horizontal en Cataluña” [“Horizontal Property Legislation in Catalonia”]. Published by Editorial Francis Lefebvre, 1st edition, 2011; 2nd edition, 2012.
Academic Educations and Associations
- 1998. Graduated in Law from Universidad de Barcelona.
- 2001. Awarded a Diploma in Legal Practice from Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Barcelona.
- Member of the Bar nº 25.628, Colegio de Abogados de Barcelona.
- Asociación Española de Derecho de la Construcción.
- Asociación para el Fomento del Arbitraje.